Learning self-regulation helps kids stay focused in the classroom and beyond. Here are some easy ways to cultivate your child’s ability to self-regulate.
- Don’t forget the basics – plenty of sleep and healthy food. Being tired and hungry are stressors, and self-regulation suffers when children are stressed.
- Limit video-game playing, especially close to bedtime.
- De-stress homework time – Try putting on soft music, letting your child chew sugarless gum or suck on a sugarless candy while doing homework.
- Spend time together – Build a positive parent-child relationship by spending one-on-one time with each kid.
- Attend a Homework Strategies workshop – check upcoming workshops